In this episode of the Pacey Performance Podcast, I have the pleasure in speaking to Head of Strength & Conditioning at Hurricanes Rugby in New Zealand, David Gray. This episode has come around at the perfect time with the British & Irish Lions being on tour in New Zealand and getting a 31-31 draw against David's Hurricanes on Tuesday this week. David is another practitioner in the 'Brit abroad' category having worked in New Zealand for the last few year.
In this episode, you will learn -
- Who is Davie Gray (background, experience, and current role)
- Working in NZ and differences/similarities with Europe
- Periodisation of different qualities and how it differs pre, in and off season
- Strength & power
- Training load monitoring
- Use of Kitman Labs
- Creating a competitive environment to increase training intensity
- How things change with scheduling issues
- Future direction
- What could you improve
- Areas of innovation (power profiling)
- Staff relationship & CPD
- Advice for young S&C's
David can be found on Twitter @daviegray
This episode of the Pacey Performance Podcast is sponsored by Vald Performance, the team behind the NordBord and the new Groinbar, a hip and groin strength measuring solution. They can be found at valdperformance.com and you can get more information on the groin bar at groinbar.com and on Twitter @groinbar.
This episode is sponsored by Fatigue Science. Fatigue Science combine wearable technology with biomathematical science developed by the US Army to offer fantastic insights into sleep and cognitive fatigue.
Keep up to date with everything that is going on with the podcast by following on Twitter @strengthofsci or visiting the links below.