Pacey Performance Podcast #199 - Rick Franzblau (Director of Olympic Sports for Strength & Conditioning at Clemson University)
In this podcast I am speaking to Director of Olympic Sports (Strength & Conditioning) at Clemson University, Rick Franzblau. It was an absolute pleasure to speak with Rick for this episode and we covered some really interesting areas. Rick has written a number of articles on his speed training philosophy (Simplifaster blog & 1080 Sprint blog) so we spent much of our time discussing this along with his use of technology in and out of the weight room. I haven't had too many guests who work in the US collegiate system so it was great to get Rick on who was so open and willing to share. Enjoy.
In this episode, you will learn -
- Who is Rick Franzblau (background, education & current role)
- Philosophy on building speed
- Assisted and resisted speed protocols
- Mitigating hamstring injury risk
- Use of tech
- Building hypertrophy & reducing hypertrophic responses
- Examples of programming
- College weight room schedules
- Early morning training vs mental and physical recovery
- Isometrics vs eccentrics or combination of both?
- Examples in programming
- How is sports tech influencing the practice of young practitioners?
- Removing accountability with data?
Rick can be found on Twitter @FranzblauRick
This episode of the Pacey Performance Podcast is sponsored by Vald Performance, the team behind the NordBord and the new Groinbar, a hip and groin strength measuring solution. They can be found at valdperformance.com and you can get more information on the groin bar at groinbar.com and on Twitter @groinbar.
This episode is sponsored by BLK BOX, leaders in performance training equipment & facility design. BLK BOX manufacture and distribute a full range of strength training equipment across Europe from their Headquarters in Belfast, Northern Ireland.